Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Free medical camp raises the leadership bar

The Waruku free medical camp took place last Saturday 27th October 2007 at the Salvation Army Church on Musa Gitau road, Lavington. The event brought together medical personnel from the Lions Sight First Eye Hospital, University of Nairobi School of dental sciences, Diabetes Management Institute (DMI) and the Kenya Society for Deaf Children. Our team of 27 volunteers was able to register over 1500 patients from Waruku, Kangemi and even Kawangware.

This day was a culmination of five months of serious planning and lots of co-ordination between the different participating institutions, the organizing committee and myself. As I walked among the patients, observing dedicated medical personnel at work; I couldn’t help but marvel at what could be achieved with resolute determination.

I frequently stopped to chat to the women, men and children, patiently waiting for their turn to be attended. Their encouraging remarks and appreciation for the community initiative completely validated all the stress we had gone through, especially in the last few days prior to the camp.

Over 30 people were diagnosed with diabetes and were provided with free insulin to last them several months. A similar number were referred to the Lions Eye Hospital in Loresho for further examination that may lead to surgery, at no cost. Over 300 dental extractions were conducted during the course of the day, bringing much needed relief to many people.

Mr. Muli, a 62 year-old man from Waruku told me in Swahili, “My son, you’ve done very well. The toothache I’ve nursed for the last few months is now gone. God will bless you.”

One lady wondered aloud why I was going for a civic seat instead of aspiring to be an MP. “Even the MPs have never done this for us,” was her emphatic statement. “Mama, huwezi kupanda mti ukianzia juu. Lazima uanze chini, kwenye mizizi,” I responded with a smile.

These sentiments reflected what had come to be accepted as gospel truth by the people of Waruku and indeed many other residents of Nairobi; that Councillors do not serve the people who elected them into office and that they were not expected to do so. So it was quite a pleasant shock for Waruku people when I came along and did two major projects within a short time, when other aspirants were doing absolutely nothing but the usual theatrics.

The feedback from the ground continues to encourage me to soldier on with the campaign. Voters are now using my name as a benchmark for all other civic aspirants in Kileleshwa. I’m happy that I’ve managed to achieve my primary objective in this civic race – to raise the bar high for aspiring City Councillors. The beneficiaries of this scenario will ultimately be the residents of Kileleshwa Ward who deserve much better than they’ve been getting.

My deepest gratitude goes out to all the volunteers from Waruku and elsewhere who made the day a success. Many thanks to my friends who put in their time and resources to making this dream a reality for the people of Waruku, Kileleshwa Ward. And finally, a big thank you to my lovely wife, for believing in this initiative even when the going got unbearably tough.

======================================
Dancan Muhindi – Uongozi ni vitendo
- Professionals for City hall initiative -
Cellphone : 0722 781042, Email: dmuhindi@gmail.com

10 comments:

  1. Dancan
    I admire a person who has the courage to say they will do something and the integrity to get that thing done to the best of their ability. Keep up the good work - continue to serve the people for this is what makes one a great leader. Shame the current crop of 'leaders' and show them how it ought to be done. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wacui.
    I'm happy with the journey I embarked on this year.
    Whether I win or not, the voters perceptions and expectations regarding their councillors has been altered, probably forever.

    I thank God because the work I've been doing on the ground will ensure that the next Kileleshwa Councillor doesn't have an easy time on the seat.
    The guy will just have to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Councillor Muhindi, As a volunteer in the Medical Camp and a campaigner on the ground I want to give my 2 cents on that monumental day. Indeed it was heart-warming (and a relief) when sometime around noon the Camp took a life of its own, and was functioning like a well oiled machine. The entire hall was packed full of patients, the pungent and somewhat disquietening smell of hospitals permeated the whole place,the Dental department was the busiest and most gory,the queue at the Eye department was fairly flying along, as was the Diabetes.I will also not forget in a hurry an incidence where the ENT medics washed out a small sized (thankfully DEAD) cockroach from a patients ear...... a very intense day.
    Bottom line is you reached out and touched more than a thousand lives in a day...something most people dont do with their ENTIRE lives. Judging from the gratitude of the people who attended, I think you have made voting in Waruku much simpler this year...you stand out like a very sore thumb. Now all that remains is to beat any ODM wave they manage to whip up and Kileleshwa Ward will never be the same again. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiram,
    You’ve described so accurately the atmosphere at Salvation Army church, as it was that day. The camp did take a life of its own at some point and the volunteers were working smoothly in sync with each other and the patients. It was simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Councillor, it is heart warming to read about the medical camp and also to feel the passion and dedication between the lines. You definitely have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Councillor Muhindi,
    Although I am a registered voter elsewhere, I would like you to know that what you are doing is such a breath of fresh air. I wish you all the best and I know that you shall keep up the good work even after the ballot.

    In deed a challenge to all leaders out there who have not understood that leadership is a call to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know civic aspirants will be handing in their papers next week! All the best Councillor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karibu people,
    As Kamau put it, I'll certainly be one of the civic candidates handing in my papers between the 19th and 20th November 2007.

    Fortunately for me, I received my nomination from SAFINA two weeks ago. I did not therefore take part in the chaotic nominations we all witnessed on Friday 16th November.

    We really need to do something about our shameful party primaries. They've been like this since 1992.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the best. I have friends who vote in your area and will definetely encourage them to support you.

    Yeah party primaries are a sham and really about might and violence, less about the will of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karibu Afrofeminista.
    My nomination papers were accepted on Monday 19/11/07 by the ECK in good order and I’ll therefore be on the ballot for Kileleshwa Ward.

    I’ll soon be unveiling my action-plans for Kileleshwa ward on this blog for readers’ comments.

    ReplyDelete