Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Dancan Muhindi: Background information


I believe it's important for the voters in Kileleshwa to have a good insight of the candidates presenting themselves for elections this year. I would therefore like to share a bit on my background.

I was born on 26th September 1973, in Nanyuki town, Laikipia district. A first born in a family of five children, I grew up mostly in Nairobi, though I've lived in different parts of Kenya through diverse experiences which have shaped me into the person that I am today.

I attended Harambee primary school, situated in Eastlands, Nairobi, before moving to Arya primary school in Kisumu where I completed my primary education in 1987. I was fortunate to attend Lenana school, one of the national schools in the country, from 1988 to 1991. In 1993, I joined the University of Nairobi to pursue a bachelors degree in design, graduating in 1997. In 2006, I enrolled for a masters degree in communications at the University of Nairobi's school of journalism.

Over the last ten years, I've been fortunate to work with leading organisations in the country as an ICT professional, such as the Kenya Literature Bureau and the Nation Media Group. Am currently working with an International NGO supporting small-scale agricultural development in the East African region.

I believe in sharing my talents with the community, especially in matters pertaining to the education of children. In that regard, I'm an active board member of the Kenya National Association of the Children's International Summer Villages, a volunteer organisation promoting inter-cultural youth exchange programmes. Married and blessed with two children, I currently reside in Lavington, Kileleshwa ward.

9 comments:

  1. I love the PHOTO!. Dancan we require brave souls like yourself to help solve problems head-on in Kenya. Burying our heads in the sand is totally retrogressive. GodSpeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the whole idea and I fully support it. But the cynic in me is asking, what is different about your candidature, tell us in more concrete terms what you will do different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ 1st Anon,
    I agree with you totally about burying our heads.
    The problem of mediocrity in our councils will not go away unless we the voters, open our eyes and examine properly the candidates who will present themselves this year at civic level.

    We must make informed choices this time round. Thanks for the encouragement

    @ 2nd Anon,
    Thanks for your query.
    As I mentioned elsewhere while answering another question, my candidature is already different even as we talk to each other. The very fact that you can publicly question my intentions, and I can answer back on the same platform is a good indicator of what to expect once am in office.

    If elected, I intend to re-shape the role of a Councillor in relationship to the electorate. That means, striving to change the common perception of a Councillor as an abscondee leader, to one who is accessible to voters through the established ward office.

    I intend to make the Ward office inclusive in its decision making processes, working closely with residents to identify priority projects which the Council should undertake in the ward.

    I will undertake to establish a ward committee comprising resident representatives for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on the good work and keep us updated on this blog and we will keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am curious, how exactly do you intend to make the changes?What are the needs of kileleshwa constituency?How much is their CDF and how has it been misappropriated in the past?What are your goals really?It's easy to say that you are going to make a difference(which every politician promises),but it seems vague if their is no set political statement of your plan.I believe all our political aspirants should do through research before they actually run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anonymous who said...
    Am curious, how exactly do you intend to make the changes?What are the needs of kileleshwa constituency

    Thank you very much for visiting my blog and for your queries. Because of their wide scope, I intend to answer them comprehensively through a post am currently writing, rather than as a comment.

    Please check again in a week's time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI,
    Can you elaborate more about your ICT background and what you will do for the Kile ward?. My vote hinges on this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anon,
    To answer your query:
    I got my B.A degree in design from the University of Nairobi in 1997. After that I trained in computer graphics and web development - skills which I used well at the Nation Media Group between 2001-2005.

    Am currently a Communications officer with FARM-Africa, handling print and web publications, and media relations. Am also doing an M.A in communications at the UON. That's my ICT background.

    As for what I plan to do for Kileleshwa, please check my latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, now this is what I call action. Food for thought, I should also quit sitting pretty and making noise and instead take up the fight myself. Impressive

    ReplyDelete