Monday, May 7, 2007

Do you know your local Councillor?


Many people are aware that there are two levels of governance in Kenya; these are the Central and Local government. The Central government has three arms: the Legislative (Parliament), the Executive (President, cabinet and civil service) and the Judiciary.

Local government is comprised of municipalities and councils run by elected officials known as Councillors.

The Executive and Legislature enjoy lots of media attention, with aspiring candidates at presidential and parliamentary level receiving good coverage through an election year (as is currently happening).

Unfortunately, civic candidates are usually completely ignored by mainstream media houses. Most voters inevitably remain in the dark regarding these candidates, till the elections day.

During this important democratic exercise, most voters will often revert to the famous “three-piece suit” voting pattern in determining their Councillors. “Because I’ve given my favourite Presidential candidate my vote, I’ll also vote in an MP and Councillor from the same party where he or she belongs to,” so goes the reasoning. As a result, many Nairobi voters cannot tell you who their local Councillor is, yet they voted for one during the last elections in 2002!

Sadly, this situation has left room for people with extremely dubious backgrounds and scanty credentials evade serious scrutiny by voters. After securing party nominations (often conducted though fracas and chaos), many manage to get elected through political party “waves” such as the National Rainbow Coalition (NARC) momentum in 2002 which bundled KANU out of power.

It’s no wonder that many of our local authorities are riddled with gross ineptitude, mismanagement and mediocrity. They
remain theatres of the absurd, with numerous bizarre incidents being documented over the years on the conduct unbecoming of our Councillors. A recent example is the chaotic mayoral polls conducted on the 20th of July 2006 at the Nairobi City Council (click image at the top). Read the story here.

Here’s what Musikari Kombo, Minister for Local Government said about the incidence.

“As I wind up, I would like to say that the mayoral elections were barbaric and it is something we must deal with. I undertake to bring amendments to Cap.265, that will deal with that area and also ensure that a better calibre of councillors are elected into the local authorities.”

This is taken from the Parliamentary Hansard report of Wednesday 2nd August 2006.

Dear Kenyans, what is the solution to this state of affairs? I firmly believe a large part of the solution lies within our reach as voters. I submit that we have the power to elect high calibre and result-focused individuals as Councillors if we took the time to scrutinise aspiring civic candidates as we do the parliamentary ones.

In that endeavour, I’ve humbly presented myself to the people of Kileleshwa Ward as a candidate for Councillor in this year’s general elections. Please click here to read an email announcement I sent to my friends.

I firmly believe that the management of our councils can be tremendously improved, if a critical mass of professionals is elected to run our local authorities. They should be men and women of integrity, highly competent individuals capable of tackling the challenges of running a City in the 21st century.

Rather than talk and complain about the current situation, I’ve decided to step out of my safety zone and wade into the “murky” world of politics. I hope my brave step will encourage other like-minded individuals to make a difference where it really matters – at the grassroots level. If successful, this vision will eventually impact on the way we conduct our national affairs at both parliamentary and executive levels of governance.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, questions and solutions on this blog regarding our civic authorities. By so doing, we shall have focused ourselves more keenly on civic leaders, and shall no longer allow ourselves to vote blindly at every general election.

The Chinese once said, “ a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”

My fellow Kileleshwa voters, our journey to elect a professional and change the way things are done at City Hall has began today.

Sincerely,

Dancan Muhindi
- Professionals for City Hall -

If you’d like to join this noble campaign as a volunteer, or to donate campaign materials, please write to me.
Email: dmuhindi@gmail.com

18 comments:

  1. Very interesting stuff you've raised here. We should definitely take these councillors more seriously as we vote this year. All the best lakini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so what exactly makes you different from the other councillors that have been before you?/hassan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Hassan for visiting my blog.
    As best as I can, I'll attempt to answer your query:

    To start with, by setting up this blog, I've opened myself to public scrutiny in the lead up to the elections in December 2007.

    Blog visitors will be able to see my background, vision and open engagement with voters from the comfort of their desktops. This is definitely a first for an aspiring Councillor in Kenyan elections.

    Secondly, I believe my professional background, exposure and experience will serve Kileleshwa voters well, in articulating the issues that are close to their hearts at City hall.

    To be frank, most sitting Councillors' credentials leave a lot to be desired. Evidence bears me out that most are completely out of their depth when it comes to managing a modern metropolis such as Nairobi.

    Finally, I intend to make the position very interactive with the residents (as am currently doing) so as to easily prioritise Ward issues. Kileleshwa voters can be assured that my candidature brings in a different mould of Councillor from the usual crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, good to finally move into the 21st century.As a Kileleshwa voter, I am very interested in what you have to say. To be honest, I never paid much attention to councillors but I think its about time we did especially if we want to move into a more local government oriented era. Its great that you are educated and seemingly exposed to a faster world and I think its fantastic that you are young! It's about damn time. Will definitely forward this to all the people I know in Kileleshwa.All the best!
    njambi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Duncan

    I got this link from your sister Catherine. It is encouraging to see young talent making a go in politics its way overdue. Wish you the very best because you represent all of us who are tired of 15th century politics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karibu Njambi!
    You are not alone when you say that you've not previously paid much attention to Councillors. Many voters in Nairobi have not, and I can't really blame them.

    This blog intends to explore this issue comprehensively and discuss it with not only Kileleshwa residents, but Nairobi voters in general.

    Keep visiting and encourage other Kileleshwa voters to do so. I will soon be posting on a subject which most sitting Councillors would prefer was kept a secret from voters, forever if need be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for your replies Mr.Muhindi,am really looking forward to reading on the coming subject that you are soon posting./hassan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karibu Janet (USA),
    Going into politics was not an easy decision. Sometimes I think must be crazy to be leaving the safety of my career for this "dirty" occupation.

    However, what am doing is so much better than just complaining about the way things are.

    Hopefully, my initiative will create a ripple effect that will have a bearing at the way we elect our civic leaders.

    Keep checking the blog for updates on how the campaign is going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the very best and I ma spreading the news far and wide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally, a breath of fresh air....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You have a winner here my friend. But tell me,how are you goin to overcome voter apathy in your ward?? we all know the well-off dont vote, its the kawa man on the street who votes....that indeed will your toughest nut to crack.....how indeed Mr Councillor??

    ReplyDelete
  11. ANTE UP!! This is a clarion call to all the innefficient incumbent.....the stakes have just been raised...Do u raise, or do you FOLD?
    Great vision Dancan.....I will definitely spread the word. Great layout too, not cluttered at all. Signed,
    A Kileleshwa voter

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Anonymous
    Yes you're right.
    The stakes have certainly been raised.

    My campaign is focused on putting Nairobi civic leaders under the micro-scope. Unfortunately, this only happens when they throw stools at each other during City hall elections.

    Honestly, that's one thing that really baffles me.
    Surely, 75 people gathered in a room can't count their own votes in peace? Nairobi voters really need to reject this nonsense once and for all at the end of this year.

    If we can focus on these candidates at our local levels so that we make informed choices, Nairobi voters will be the ultimate winners come January 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is very enlightening..thanks for making us aware and filling in our knowlege banks.

    am just wondering on your vision for the youth first in your ward and then in the City Hall./hassan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi.Got this link from a flyer my brother brought home.He got it in Westlands.Why aren't you distributing them in Kileleshwa?I would never have know who you are.And i'm sure many people still don't know.That aside,Kudos and i hope you do something good here in kileleshwa.Good luck and i'll pass on the link.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Val,
Welcome to my blog. 

I've been distributing my calling cards/flyers in many areas of Kileleshwa, starting from Musa Gitau road, Rhapta road, Kileleshwa’s Kasuku shopping area to Gatundu road. Considering the ward's close proximity to Westlands, it’s not surprising for some flyers to get into Westlands. Otherwise, the campaign is exclusively targeting Kileleshwa voters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Duncan
    This is a pleasant surprise. i was your classmate in Harambee primary back in the day before you moved to Kisumu. We also moved to Kileleshwa in 87 and lived there till i came to the states.Keep up the spirit. Duncan Mburu (Washington DC).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mburu!
    Karibu sana. I definitely remember you and your twin bro Tadeo. Please say a big hi. Thanks for the support. If there's any way you can contribute to this campaign, don't hesitate to write to me - dmuhindi@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Duncan,

    I am encouraged by your resilience and your psyche. Atleast I have attended one of your rallies and I am positive that you will be our next Councillor for Kileleshwa. Utuhudumie vyema!!!

    ReplyDelete